Family & Consumer Sciences Extension
Operation: Military Kids is a collaborative effort with Kentucky's communities to support military children, youth and families impacted before, during, and after deployment. OMK provides support to military families who are geographically dispersed, recognizing that these families have significantly different needs than those families on active military installations. In 2009, leadership for Kentucky's Operation: Military Kids grant was moved to Family and Consumer Sciences Extension in order to expand programs and partnerships. The mission grew from a focus on children and youth to reaching out to all members of the family throughout the entire deployment cycle. Kentucky OMK is "purple," meaning our efforts are focused on all branches of the military, National Guard, and Reserve.
- Create community support networks for military children, youth and families "in our own backyards" across the state.
- Implement and deliver recreational, educational and social programs for military children, youth and families living in civilian communities.
- Support military children, youth and families before, during AND after the deployment of a loved one.
- Educate the public on the impact of deployment cycles on military families and the whole community.
For More information please visit
For KY OMK:
2014 DoD Deployment Support Camps
Kentucky is having two FREE adventure camps this summer for military families! Kids must be within the ages of 5-18. Military families from any state and branch are invited, including Active Duty, Reserve, and National Guard.
- June 20-22, 2014: The "MAMMOTH" Military Family Adventure
Mammoth Cave Hotel, Kentucky Camp full. Applications still welcome but will be waitlisted in the event of any cancellations.
- July 11-13, 2014: Robinson Forest Military Family Adventure
Robinson Forest, Jackson, Kentucky
To sign up, you will need to download and complete the 2014 DoD Deployment Support Camp application Packet and send it to Jan Childers by mail at:
DoD Deployment Support Camps
115 Huguelet Dr.
Room 246 Scovell Hall
Lexington, KY 40506
If you have any questions, please contact Jan at email@example.com.