The 2008 Student of Excellence recipients were:
- Jaline Croley Taylor, Undergraduate Student of Excellence for Family and Consumer Sciences Education
- Jessica Durbin, Undergraduate Student of Excellence for Family Science
- Cara Drury, Undergradudate Student of Excellence for Merchandising, Apparel, and Textiles
- Ashley Mowery, Undergraduate Student of Excellence for Human Nutrition
- Julie Northrop, Undergraduate Student of Excellence for Dietetics
- Meghan Peters, Undergraduate Student of Excellence for Hospitality Management and Tourism
- Amy Laura Arnold, Graduate Student of Excellence for the Master's Program in Family Studies
- Avery Malone, Graduate Student of Excellence for Merchandising, Apparel and Textiles
- Akemi Sakamoto, Graduate Student of Excellence for Hospitality and Dietetics Administration
Sarah has maintained her high academic achievement while being very involved in extracurricular, service, and leadership activities. She is a member of Delta Delta Delta Sorority, and has served as the Vice President for Membership and Vice President for Chapter Development. Sarah also maintains membership in the UK Student Dietetic Association, Bluegrass Dietetic Association, and American Dietetic Association. Her volunteer and service work includes Dance Blue, Race for the Cure, and Kentucky Welcome. She served as a UK FUSION Team Leader and as a peer instructor for UK 101.
Carolyn’s research work with Dr. Gaetke has been part of the UK Superfund Basic Research Program, a National Institutes of Health and National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences funded initiative. The initiative focuses on research that addresses both the environmental and biomedical effects of toxic chemical exposures. Carolyn works with Dr. Gaetke to develop, deliver and evaluate nutrition programs for community members affected by environmental contaminants.Carolyn has been active with the Agriculture and Human Environmental Sciences Alumni Association Board, and was a member of the board during the transition period when the two former associations merged. She also served as a member of the board’s student recruitment committee.