Low levels of physical activity, often paired with unhealthy diets, can lead to health problems including overweight and obesity. Consider these Kentucky statistics.
- 2/3 of adult Kentuckians are overweight or obese.
- 1/3 of today's Kentucky children are overweight or obese compared to just 5% in 1973.
- 40% of Kentucky's sixth graders are overweight or obese.
- Health and social consequences of obesity are numerous.
- The issue is larger than the individual -- it is societal.
Family and Consumer Sciences Extension professionals on-campus and across the state are planning an event to create awareness about these issues and promote physical activity. Click here to read a detailed article about the Second Sunday Project which will take place Sunday, October 12.