- HMT 210 - Hotel Rooms Division Management
- HMT 270 - Principles of Travel & Tourism
- HMT 360 - Tourism Planning & Development
- HMT 460 - Special Topics in the Hospitality & Tourism Industry
- HMT 499 - Hospitality and Tourism Senior Field Experience
- NFS 772 - Current Topis in Hospitality & Tourism Administration
- Poverty alleviation in developing countries through sustainable tourism
- Small and medium hospitality & tourism enterprise economic development in developing countries
- Tourism issues in Kentucky
- Curriculum and didactic materials development in hospitality & tourism at both the university and vocational & tertiary levels
He has been very active in international work. Examples of his work include working on a USAID funded project to train educational partners in entrepreneurship development in tourism at the Cherkassy Institute of Management (Ukraine); A Winrock International sponsored project to revise and expand the hospitality & catering curriculum for Higher National Diploma undergraduates at Takoradi and Cape Coast Polytechnics in Ghana; and a recently concluded technical assistance project to train small & medium sized hotel & restaurant entrepreneurs in practical and profitable methods of hospitality business operations in Juba, Southern Sudan sponsored by VEGA.
Dr. Brown is currently an external examiner for the University of Technology in Jamaica and his role includes assistance with revision of methodologies for training standards, evaluation of courseware and curriculum objectives, setting goals for the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management to ensure consistency with those in North America and other international programs. During the last 12 years, Dr. Brown has made international presentations in many countries including Botswana, South Africa, United Kingdom, Bermuda, Namibia, Kenya, Greece and Turkey.
He is the recipient of 2000 of the Great Teacher Award by the University of Kentucky Alumni Association as well as the 1997 Outstanding Teaching Award for the College of Human & Environmental Science. Dr Brown has published in the Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, the International Journal of Hospitality Management, Tourism Management, Journal of Vacation Marketing and the Consortium Journal.