FOR-69: Field Guide to Best Management Practices for Timber Harvesting in Kentucky
BMP No. 7: Fertilizers
Fertilization can aid in the establishment of herbaceous vegetation used to stabilize disturbed soil. Fertilizer includes both organic waste and industrially produced liquid, granular, or powered formulations of plant nutrients. Improper use of fertilizer may result in excessive nutrients in nearby waters.
- Use only the amount of fertilizer necessary, and stay away from bodies of water or those areas immediately adjacent to them.
- Avoid using fertilizers in SMZs.
- Avoid using fertilizers within 30 feet of any noticeable sinkhole opening.
Regulatory Requirements for BMP No. 7
(See Appendix A for Explanations)
- Application of sludge: (May require a permit)
- All silvicultural operations: (410 KAR 5:026, 5:029, 5:030, and 5:031)
- Activities near high-quality waters and outstanding national resource waters: (401 KAR 5:029, 5:030, and 5:031)
- Activities near wild rivers: (KRS 146.200 et seq. and 401 KAR 4:100-140)
Equal opportunity statement