Dept.of Plant Pathology
PS-201F, Plant Sciences Bldg,
University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY- 40546
Phone: 859-323-9695 (R) 859-257-7445 X:80778 (Lab)
Fax: 859-323-1961 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Ph. D. 1999 present. University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA.
· M S. 1996 Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi, India.
· Ph.D. candidate (1999-present): investigating the functions of replicase proteins of positive stranded RNA viruses and their role in viral RNA replication. Expressed and purified replicase proteins of two model RNA viruses in E.coli and characterized their replicase activities in vitro. Also studied the RNA and protein binding activities of the replicase proteins and their role in viral RNA replication. Expertise in RNA-protein interactions methods such as gel shift assay, northwestern assay, Biosenosr analysis (Biacore Inc), in protein-protein interactions methods such as Yeast Two Hybrid analysis, GST-pull down assay and in in vitro RNA depoendent RNA polymerase assays.
· Scientist (1997-1999) at The Indian Institute of Spices Research (IISR), Calicut, India. Established viral etiology of an unknown disease on Black pepper and played a major role in establishing a new molecular biology lab for microbiological research.
· Junior Research Fellow (1994-1997), Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi. Worked for M.S dissertation titled " Investigation on Coleus viroid(s) in India". Established for the first time the presence of viroids in commercial cultivars of coleus sp in India through Nucleic acid spot hybridization, PCR and northern blot analysis.
· Adjunct Lecturer (1997-1999): taught plant virology and basic molecular techniques used in virus research for the course "Plant Molecular Biology" in post graduate school at Calicut University, Kerala, India.
· Rajendran, K. S. and Nagy, P. D. 2004. Interactions between the replicase proteins of tomato bushy stunt virus in vitro and in vivo. Submitted.
· Rajendran, K. S. and Nagy, P. D. 2003.Characterization of the RNA-binding domains in the replicase proteins of tomato bushy stunt virus. J Virol. 77 (17). 9244-58. [PDF]
· Rajendran K.S., Pogany, J and Nagy PD. 2002. Comparison of Turnip Crinkle Virus RNA-dependent RNA polymerase preparations expressed in Escherichia coli or derived from infected plants. Journal of Virology. 74(4). 1707-1717. [PDF]
· Rajendran K.S and Nagy P. D (2003). Interactions between replicase proteins of tomato bushy stunt virus (TBSV). 22nd Annual meeting of American Society for Virology, July 12-16, University of California, Davis, USA.
· Rajendran K.S and Nagy P. D (2002). Characterization of functional domains of tomato bushy stunt virus (TBSV) replicase proteins. 21st Annual meeting of American Society for Virology, July 20-24, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Ky, USA.
· Rajendran K.S and Nagy P. D (2002). Characterization of functional domains of tomato bushy stunt virus (TBSV) replicase proteins. International Congress of Virology, July 27-August 4,Paris, France.
· Rajendran K. S and Nagy P. D (2001). RNA binding properties of tombusvirus replicase proteins. 20th Annual meeting of American Society for Virology, July 21-25, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA.
SCHOLARSHIPS AND MERITS
· 2002-03 University of Kentucky Dissertation Year Fellowships
· 2000-02 Research Challenge Trust Fund fellowship, University of Kentucky
· 1996 Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) - Senior Research Fellowship (SRF)
· 1996 Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI) SRF for pursuing Ph.D. at IARI
· 1994 ICAR Junior Research Fellowship (JRF)
· 2003-04 Visiting Distinguished Faculty Award
· 2002-03 Commonwealth Research Award, University of Kentucky
· 2002-03 Student travel grant award, University of Kentucky
· 2002-03 Student travel award from American Society for Virology
· 2002-03 University of Kentucky Dissertation Enhancement Award
· 2001 Student travel grant award, University of Kentucky
· 2001 Student travel award from American Society for Virology
· 1997 Selected for ARS Agricultural Research Service under ICAR, Govt. of India
· Dr. Peter D. Nagy
PS F201, Plant Sciences Bldg
Dept. of Plant Pathology
University of Kentucky
Lexington, Ky 40546