My research deals with turfgrass insecticides and their impacts on non-target invertebratessuch as predators and pollinators. The focus of my project is a new chemistry that was released just a few years ago that promises to help turf mangers maintain healthy stands of grass while keeping the environment healthy. I am interested in helping golf course and home lawn managers understand the pros & cons of the insecticide products they use and how they can keep people and beneficial invertebrates safe.
- BS in Entomology, Purdue University 2005-2009
- PhD in Entomology, University of Kentucky (completion May 2014)
Teaching and Work Experience
- Teaching Assistant
ENTM 340: Insects of Ornamental Plants (Fall 2008)
ENT 320: Horticultural Entomology (Fall 2010)
ENT 300: General Entomology (Fall 2011)
University of Kentucky
ENT 320: Horticultural Entomology: Leaf Miners and Gall Making Insects, October, 2013.
- BIO 2424: Natural History of Kentucky: The Natural History of Pollination and Pollinator Decline. September 2013.
- BIO 1044: Biological Interactions: Arthropod Natural History. November 2013.
Morehead State University
- RAPP 289: Regional Natural History: The Good, The Bad, and The Weird: The Evolution of Insects. February 2013.
Entomological Society of America
Ohio Valley Entomological Association
Gamma Sigma Delta
- Invited Symposia
- 2013: The 61st Annual Meeting of the Entomological Society of America. Austin, TX.
- 2012: The 60th Annual Meeting of the Entomological Society of America. Knoxville, TN.
- 2010: 58th Annual Meeting of the Entomological Society of America. San Diego, CA.
- 2011: 59th Annual Meeting of the Entomological Society of America. Reno, NV. University of Kentucky Graduate Student Interdisciplinary Conference. Lexington, KY.
- 2010: 65th Annual Meeting of the North Central Branch of the Entomological Society of America Louisville, KY.
- 2009: 57th Annual Meeting of the Entomological Society of America, Indianapolis, IN.
- Bluegrass Golf Course Superintendents Meeting 2011
- CKOTA Annual Meeting: 2010, 2012, 2013
- KTC Annual Meeting 2010, 2011, 2012
- KTC Short Course 2011, 2012
- Ohio Valley Buckeye Horticulture Extension Meeting 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- UK Turf Field Day 2010, 2011, 2012
- Multiple presentations to Lexington elementary schools
- Kentucky Horse Park’s UK Day (2010)
- Insect Night Walk (2010)
- Explorium Insect Saturday presentations
- Bug Fest 2013 Cincinnati Museum Center
1st place Master’s Division OVEA (2010, 2011)
1st place Poster Presentation UK Graduate Student Interdisciplinary Conference
Professional Service Activities
- President of H. Garmin Entomology Club (2010-2011)
- President of Ohio Valley Entomological Association (2011-2012)
- Co-moderator for ESA Symposium session (2010)
- Organizer and Moderator for ESA symposium (2013)
- Larson J.L., Redmond C.T., Potter D.A. (2013) Assessing Insecticide Hazard to Bumble Bees Foraging on Flowering Weeds in Treated Lawns. PLOS ONE 8(6): e66375. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0066375
Larson, J. L., Redmond, C. T. and Potter, D. A. (2012), Comparative impact of an anthranilic diamide and other insecticidal chemistries on beneficial invertebrates and ecosystem services in turfgrass. Pest. Manag. Sci., 68: 740–748. doi: 10.1002/ps.2321
Carmen K. Blubaugh, Victoria A. Caceres, Ian Kaplan, Jonathan Larson, Clifford S. Sadof, and Douglas S. Richmond (2011) Ground Beetle (Coleoptera: Carabidae) Phenology, Diversity, and Response to Weed Cover in a Turfgrass Ecosystem. Environmental Entomology 2011 40 (5), 1093-1101
Trade Journal Publications
Jonathan L. Larson and Daniel A. Potter. 2013. “The Plight of the Bees”, in Golf Course Management November 2013 edition; http://gcmdigital.gcsaa.org/i/199080/88.
Jonathan L. Larson and Daniel A. Potter. 2013. “Bee Friendly Lawn Care”, in Landscape Management. December 2013 edition.
Return to UK Department of Entomology homepage