Each survey was sent out via U.S. Postal Service enclosed with a short cover letter and a self addressed, stamped envelope for return of the completed form. DWJ
for Barley Yellow Dwarf (BYD) via the Aphids Vectors Survey
1. Please list the State in which you primarily operate and for which you are answering these questions._____
2. Please circle the following term that most appropriately indicates your area of employment.
University USDA Agency Independent Consultant Ag-inputs Dealer Ag-Industry Tech/Sales Producer Other:_________________________
3. Please circle the following term that most closely describes your primary area of expertise.
Entomologist Plant Pathologist Production Specialist Plant Breeder Other:______________________
4. Please circle the following term that most closely indicates the predominate wheat type
grown in your area and for which you are basing the answers to the survey questions.
Hard Red Winter Hard Red Spring Soft Red Winter Durum Hard White Soft White
Other: Please list: _______________
5. Please list any special characteristics that you feel would make your system different from the
norm for wheat production for the wheat type listed above.
6. Do you consider Barley Yellow Dwarf a serious problem to wheat production in your state? YES_____ NO_____
7. If epidemic is defined as 20% of wheat fields showing easily observed BYD symptoms, please
indicate by circling the number of years out of the most recent five, that BYD has been
epidemic in your state.
0 1 2 3 4 5
8. In a year for which conditions are very favorable to Barley Yellow Dwarf development, please
indicate by circling the phrase that best describes the spatial variability of BYD in the wheat
growing area of your state.
Problem fields very predictable Well know chronic areas
Generally identify regions of greater risk Problems too scattered to be predictable
9. On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 = greatest management input and 1= least management
input) please indicate by circling the number that best indicates how most of the wheat is
managed in your state.
10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
10. Please indicate by circling the percentage that best describes how confident you are that
your current recommendations will prevent an economic loss to BYD.
100% 90% 75% 50% 25% 10% 0%
11. Please indicate by ranking (1= most important, 10 = least important) the items in the list below that you feel are most important in constructing a recommendation for preventing losses due to Aphids / Barley Yellow Dwarf. (Please add as you see fit or choose from the list.)
|_____Planting Date||_____Soil Applied Insecticide|
|_____Variety Selection||_____Insecticide Seed Treatment|
|_____Tillage||_____Aphid species present|
|_____Summer weather||_____Timing of aphid flight|
12. Could you produce with confidence a recommendation for prevention of losses due to
Barley Yellow Dwarf without the use of insecticides?
13. What is the single most important piece of information / data that you use to make Aphid /
14. What is the single most important piece of information / data that you DO NOT HAVE BUT NEED, to make Aphid / BYD control recommendations. ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________
15. Do you have a publication specific to the prevention / control of aphids / BYDV?
If Yes, please list the citation and where a copy might be obtained. ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________
16. Do you have multi-discipline (e.g. wheat production manual) publication that includes
If Yes please list the citation and where a copy might be obtained.___________________
17. Do you have a World Wide Web based education tool, e.g. Model, identification key,
pictures of symptoms etc.?
If Yes please provide the Universal Resource Locator (URL) address for your tool.
18. Would you be willing to have your name listed as a contact person interested in
developing management / control strategies for Barley Yellow Dwarf?
If YES, please provide a complete mailing address, telephone & FAX numbers, and e-mail address.
____________________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________________
Thank you very much. Unless you indicated Yes in Question 18, your identity will be held in confidence. Please fold the survey, place in self-addressed, stamped envelope, and drop in the mail.