TERRANCE E. ("Terry") CONNERS
Associate Extension Professor – Forest Products
B.S. in Forest Products, The Pennsylvania State University, 1976
M.S. in Wood Science and Technology, University of Massachusetts, 1979
Ph.D. in Forestry and Forest Products, Virginia Tech, 1985
Wood-moisture relations; sawmilling and dry kiln operation; wood energy
Ohio Valley Lumber Drying Association; Kentucky Forest Industries Association; Central Kentucky Wood Producers Association; Society for Wood Science and Technology; The Railway Tie Association; Editorial Board member for International Wood Products Journal
Evaluating the economics and engineering practicality for converting large coal-fired boilers to woody biomass-fueled boilers; Wood identification courses for the general public and for museum conservators; Coordinator, 4-H Forestry youth program (with Doug McLaren)
Selected Publications and Presentations:
- Conners, T.E. and T.E. McLain. 1988. Modeling moisture gradient effects on bending properties. Wood and Fiber Science 20(2):226–242.
- Conners, T.E. and P.J. Medvecz. 1991. Wood as a bimodular material. Wood and Fiber Science 24(4):413–423.
- Conners, T.E. and R.D. Seale. 1996. Mississippi State University’s Wood Magic Science Fair. Tappi Journal 79(6):61–65.
- Conners, T.E., L.L. Ingram, A. Thompson, M.C. Templeton, S. Diehl, W. Su and S. Banerjee. 1999. Effect of seasonal variation in southern pine terpenes on dryer emissions. Tappi International Environmental Conference, April 18–21, Nashville, TN.
- Conners, T.E., L.L. Ingram, W. Su, S. Banerjee, A.T. Dalton, M.C. Templeton and S.V. Diehl. 2001. Seasonal variation in southern pine terpenes. Forest Products Journal 51(6):89–94.
- Conners, T.E., H. Yan and S. Banerjee. 2002. Mechanism of VOC release from high-temperature softwood lumber drying. Wood and Fiber Science 34(4): 666–669.
- Tangirala, P., J. Robert Heath, Arthur Radun and T.E. Conners. 2006. Development and Validation of a Programmable Logic Device (PLD) Based Sensor and Processor Microarchitecture System for Equilibrium Moisture Content Calculation in Wood Industries. Presented at the 2006 IEE Sensors Applications Symposium held in Houston, Texas, February 7–9, 2006.
- Stiglbauer, P., T. Conners, and S. Banerjee. 2006. Influence of knife angle and ambient temperature on fines generation from flakers. Forest Products Journal 56(10): 86–89.
- Conners, T.E., P. Stiglbauer, S. Banerjee and J.M. Ringe. 2005. Decreasing flaker fines by changing knife angles at different ambient temperatures. Presented at Ninth European Panel Products Symposium, Llandudno, Wales, U.K. October 5–7.
- Banerjee, S. and T.E. Conners. 2006. Implementing strategies for drying and pressing wood without emissions controls. U.S. Department of Energy Industrial Technologies Program, Forest Products Peer Review Conference. Atlanta, Georgia, April 5–6, 2006.
- Conners. T.E. and J.M. Ringe. 2006. Grading hardwood logs according to USFS standard log grades. Department of Forestry, University of Kentucky Fact Sheet, FORFS 06-02. 20 pages.
- Conners, T.E. and J.M. Ringe. 2006. Grading hardwood lumber according to NHLA rules. FORFS 06-03. 10 pages.
- Conners, T.E. and J.L. Watt. 2006. Crossties Species Identification Guide. Published by the Railway Tie Association, Fayetteville, GA.
- Banerjee, S. and T. E. Conners. 2006. Dependence of Fines Generation from Flaking Wood on Temperature and Knife Angle. Paper presented to Tenth European Panel Products Symposium, Llandudno, Wales, U.K. October 11–13.
- Conners, T.E. 2007. Equilibrium Moisture Content (EMC) of Woody Cellulosic Materials at Cold Temperatures (30°–50°F). Department of Forestry, University of Kentucky Fact Sheet, FORFS 07-06.
- Conners, T.E. 2007. Wood Magic: The Presentation Scripts. “The Importance of Wood in Everyday Life”. Department of Forestry, University of Kentucky, FORFS 07:07-12. 67 pages.
- Conners, T.E. 2007. How to Cut Railroad Ties. Department of Forestry, University of Kentucky, FORFS 07-17. 10 pages.
- Society of Wood Science and Technology. 2008. Policy and Critical Issues Committee. Use of woody biomass for bioenergy; a position paper submitted by the Policy and Critical Issues Committee. (Authored by the committee as a whole).
- Conners, T.E. and J.R. Ringe. 2010. A Case for Improving the Integration of Forestry and Wood Technology. Paper presented at the Annual Convention of the Society of Wood Science and Technology, Geneva, Switzerland, October 14, 2010. Invited paper, peer-reviewed prior to acceptance. In: Proceedings of the International Convention of Society of Wood Science and Technology and United Nations Economic Commission for Europe — Timber Committee October 11–14, 2010, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Conners, T.E. 2009. Examining Wood and Paper Forensic Evidence. Invited presentation to College of Forestry, Auburn University. October 19, 2009.
- Conners, T.E. 2010. Invited presentation. Questioned Document Examination for Paper Properties. West Virginia University, Department of Forensics. (10/28/10).
- Conners, T.E. 2011. Wood Identification: A Primer for Everyone (Written for the Foundation of the American Institute for Conservation of Historic & Artistic Works). 154 pages.
- Conners, T.E. and L. Osborn. 2011. Wood Identification for Art Conservators. AIC Short course presented to international curatorial personnel at the Cincinnati Art Museum, October 20–22, 2011.