Location & Facilities
The Department of Forestry is housed primarily in the Thomas Poe Cooper Building which is located at the corner of Rose Street and Huguelet Avenue. It was completed in 1930 as the Dairy Products Building and was later named for Thomas Poe Cooper, dean of the College of Agriculture, director of the Experiment Station, and acting president of the university in 1940 and 1941. It was renovated in the early 1970s to become a home for the newly formed Forestry Department. The building contains research laboratories, office space, lecture rooms, and other facilities needed to serve the mission of the program.
The Robinson Forest, managed for research, teaching and Extension education by the University of Kentucky Department of Forestry, is one of the largest research and educational forests in the eastern United States. Robinson Forest is a collection of seven tracts totaling 14,800 acres, and is located on the Cumberland Plateau in southeastern Kentucky.
The Wood Utilization Center was established in 1963. The 14,000 square foot facility contains an industrial hardwood furniture manufacturing laboratory, classrooms, computer laboratory and a 10,000 board foot hardwood lumber dry kiln. The manufacturing laboratory contains: a rough mill, straight-line rip saw, panel clamp carrier, finish planer, feed through CNC moulder, push through moulder, double-end tenoner, table saw, band saw, CNC router, complete traditional finishing systems and complete template and knife grinding equipment.
University of Kentucky Herbarium
The Forestry Department maintains the preserved collection. It was recently moved to room 222 in the Dimock Animal Pathology building. Click here for a map.