Kentucky woodland owners and other interested individuals are invited to participate in upcoming webinars and view recorded Forestry Webinars. The Forestry Webinars are hosted by various County Extension Offices and can also be viewed from any computer with a high speed internet connection.
Forestry webinars are an excellent opportunity to get a significant amount of forestry-related information in a relatively short time, without having to drive great distances to attend. Make plans now to join us for an upcoming LIVE webinar or scroll to the bottom of the page and click on one of the topics playback of previously recorded webinars.
Kentucky Master Loggers can receive 1 hour continuing education credits for each webinar by attending at a County Extension Office.
What Do I Do Before a Webinar:
To be sure your computer is setup correctly for the webinar, visit: https://connect.uky.edu/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm
2014 Forestry Fall Webinars:
October 7 -
HELP for You and Your Woodlands - Billy Thomas, Extension Forester
Link to the recorded webinar: http://connect.uky.edu/p5jx63wf1ga/
- Most woodland owners are unaware of the extensive help available to them in caring for their woodlands. This webinar will cover the top 20 agencies, organizations, and programs available to help Kentucky woodland owners. Knowing where to get help and how to get started is critical to get the most from your woodland ownership.
October 14 -
Woodland Certification - Christopher Reeves, Certification Forester
Link to the recorded webinar: http://connect.uky.edu/p818xanbyby/
- You will learn how forest certification is benefiting woodland owners in Kentucky; these benefits include increased markets and price premiums being received by woodland owners for their timber, increased technical assistance, and global recognition of your good stewardship. Certification is an important tool that can assist you in caring, protecting, and managing your woodlands for the future.
October 21 -
Black Bears in Kentucky - John Cox, Wildlife Professor
Link to the recorded webinar: http://connect.uky.edu/p49hhiw3vsb/
- In this webinar you will learn about the black bear population in Kentucky as well as recent and current work going on with this wildlife species. This webinar will also address some of the best practices for dealing with human and bear interactions.
October 28 -
What's Killing Our Trees and What We Can and Can't Do - Jeff Stringer, Forestry Extension Professor
Link to the recorded webinar: http://connect.uky.edu/p5ii4j6y8rk/
- Our trees are under attack from invasive insect pests. The emerald ash borer and the hemlock woolly adelgid are making their way across the Commonwealth leaving dead trees in their path. Unfortunately, these insect pests are not the only ones threatening trees. This webinar will address current and looming insect threats including how you can make your woodlands as resilient as possible.
November 11 -
Winter Tree Identification - Doug McLaren, Extension Forester
Link to the recorded webinar: http://connect.uky.edu/p90c9a6e5er/
- There are more than 100 native trees in Kentucky and being able to tell one from another is not only enjoyable but an important skill when caring for your trees and woodland. This webinar will teach participants how to use tree characteristics in the process of grouping and eventually identifying individual trees. Knowing the trees in your yard or woodlands can make your time outdoors more enjoyable and rewarding. The process of identifying trees by use of a tree identification key is designed for all age groups.