Principal Investigator's Background
Dr. Nielsen graduated with his DVM degree from the Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Denmark in 2001. He then spent three years in equine veterinary practice before joining graduate school in 2004. He received his Ph.D. in equine parasitology at University of Copenhagen in 2007, and served as assistant professor in Department of Large Animal Sciences of this university until 2011. In August 2011, he joined the M.H. Gluck Equine Research Center at University of Kentucky as assistant professor in equine parasitology.
In 2009, Dr. Nielsen was elected national Young Elite Scientist by the Danish Ministry of Sciences, and in 2010 he was awarded by Aage and Edith Dyssegaard’s Foundation for high quality research within medicine, veterinary medicine and animal production. He is board certified in veterinary parasitology with European Veterinary Parasitology College (EVPC).
Service activities include serving as reviewer for several scientific journals and he was guest editor of a special issue of Veterinary Parasitology published in 2012. In addition, he is editorial board member of Journal of Equine Veterinary Science. Dr. Nielsen has been involved with arranging several scientific meetings and conferences, including the 2007-2010 Joint Spring Symposium for Danish Society of Parasitology, the 2008 Equine Parasite Drug Resistance Workshop, University of Copenhagen, the 2009 Equine Parasitology Symposium, University of Kentucky, and the 2012 Equine Infectious Disease Conference in Lexington, Kentucky. He has been invited as speaker at the 2008 Journees d’AVEF, Reims, France, the 2009 ACVIM Forum, Montreal Canada, and the 2013 BEVA in Manchester, England. In addition, he served as scientific chair for the 2008 Equine Gastrointestinal Parasitosis Workshop in Reims, France, and the 2012 Equine Infectious Disease Conference in Lexington, Kentucky, USA.
Dr. Nielsen’s mission statement is to provide solutions for equine parasite control. His research is focussed on development and refinement of diagnostic tools to better detect and measure parasite burdens. In addition he works with anthelmintic resistance in equine strongyle nematodes, and his main focus is to identify and evaluate modern sustainable anthelmintic treatment regimens.
Current Research Projects
- Prepatent diagnosis of equine large strongyle infection. Nielsen MK (PI), Andersen UV, Lyons ET, Howe DK.
- Objective evaluation of deworming regimens in horses – growth rates, disease incidence, and financial aspects. Nielsen MK (PI), Stowe CJ, Pagan JD, Cadell S.
- The interaction between anthelmintic treatment and vaccination. Nielsen MK (PI), Chambers T, Horohov DW.
- Characterizing the role of Strongylus vulgaris infection in referred colic cases. Nielsen MK (PI), Pihl T, Jacobsen S, Olsen SN.
(top of page)
Xu J, Vidyashankar AN, Nielsen MK. Drug Resistance or Re-emergence? Simulating Equine Parasites. Transactions on Modeling and Computer Simulation, in press.
- Reinemeyer CR, Prado JC, Andersen UV, Nielsen MK, Schricker B, Kennedy T. Effects of daily pyrantel tartrate on strongylid population dynamics and performance parameters of young horses repeatedly infected with cyathostomins and Strongylus vulgaris. Veterinary Parasitology, in press.
Nielsen MK, Reist M, Kaplan RM, Pfister K, van Doorn DCK, Becher A. Equine parasite control under prescription-only conditions – awareness, knowledge, perception, and strategies applied. Veterinary Parasitology, in press.
- Nielsen MK, Reinemeyer CR, Donecker JM, Leathwick DM, Marchiondo AA, Kaplan RM. Anthelmintic resistance in equine parasites - current evidence and knowledge gaps. Veterinary Parasitology, in press.
Nielsen MK, Vidyashankar AN, Gravatte HS, Bellaw J, Lyons ET, Andersen UV. Development of Strongylus vulgaris-specific serum antibodies in naturally infected foals. Veterinary Parasitology 2014, 200, 233-304.
- Andersen UV, Reinemeyer CR, Toft N, Olsen SN, Jacobsen S, Nielsen MK. Physiologic and systemic acute phase inflammatory responses in young horses repeatedly infected with cyathostomins and Strongylus vulgaris. Veterinary Parasitology 2014, 201, 67-74.
- Peregrine AS, Molento MB, Kaplan RM, Nielsen MK. Anthelmintic resistance in important parasites of horses: does it really matter? Veterinary Parasitology 2014, 201, 1-8.
- Nielsen MK, Pfister K, von Samson-Himmelstjerna G. Selective therapy in equine parasite control - application and limitations. Veterinary Parasitology 2014, 202, 95-103.
- Nielsen MK, Betancourt A, Lyons ET, Horohov DW, Jacobsen S. Characterization of the inflammatory response to anthelmintic treatment in ponies naturally infected with cyathostomin parasites. Veterinary Journal 2013, 198, 457-462.
- Nielsen MK, Vidyashankar AN, Hanlon BM, Diao G, Petersen SL, Kaplan RM. Hierarchical model for evaluating pyrantel efficacy against strongyle parasites in horses. Veterinary Parasitology 2013, 197, 614-622.
- Cao X, Vidyashankar AN, Nielsen MK. Association between large strongyle genera in larval cultures – using rare-event Poisson regression. Parasitology, 2013, 140, 1246-1251.
- Andersen UV, Howe DK, Dangoudoubiyam S, Toft N, Reinemeyer CR, Lyons ET, Olsen SN, Monrad J, Nejsum P, Nielsen MK. rSvSXP: A Strongylus vulgaris antigen with potential for prepatent diagnosis. Parasites & Vectors, 2013, 6:84.
- Carstensen H, Larsen L, Ritz C, Nielsen MK. Daily variability of strongyle fecal egg counts in horses. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science 2013 33, 161-164.
- Andersen UV, Howe DK, Olsen SN, Nielsen MK. Recent advances in diagnosing pathogenic equine gastrointestinal helminths: The challenge of prepatent detection. Veterinary Parasitology 2013 192, 1-9.
- Tyden E, Morrison DA, Engstrom A., Nielsen MK, Eydal E, Hoglund J. Population genetics of Parascaris equorum based on whole genome DNA fingerprinting. Infection, Genetics and Evolution 2013, 13, 236-241.
- Andersen UV, Haakansson IT, Roust T, Rhod M, Baptiste KE, Nielsen MK. Developmental stage of strongyle eggs affects the outcome variations of real-time PCR analysis. Veterinary Parasitology 2013,191, 191-196.
- Nielsen MK, Olsen SN, Lyons ET, Monrad J, Thamsborg SM. Real-time PCR evaluation of Strongylus vulgaris in horses on farms in Denmark and Central Kentucky. Veterinary Parasitology 2012, 190, 461-466.
- Nielsen MK, Vidyashankar AN, Olsen SN, Monrad J, Thamsborg SM. Strongylus vulgaris associated with usage of selective therapy on Danish horse farms – is it reemerging? Veterinary Parasitology 2012, 189, 260-266.
- Molento MB, Nielsen MK, Kaplan, RM.Avermectin/milbemycin resistance in cyathostomins – current situation. Veterinary Parasitology 2012. 185, 16-24.
- Nielsen, MK. Equine Parasite Control – perspectives and research needs. Veterinary Parasitology 2012. 185, 32-44.
- Bracken MK, Wøhlk CBM, Petersen SL, Nielsen MK. Evaluation of conventional PCR for detection of Strongylus vulgaris on horse farms. Veterinary Parasitology 2012, 184, 387-391.
- Fog P, Vigre H, Nielsen MK.Strongyle egg counts in Standardbred Trotters – are they associated with race performance? Equine Veterinary Journal.2011, 43, 89-92.
- Kyvsgaard NC, Lindbom J, Andreasen LL, Luna-Olivares LA, Nielsen MK, Monrad J. Prevalence and anthelmintic control of strongyles in working horses in Nicaragua. Veterinary Parasitology, 2011. 181, 248-254.
- Larsen ML, Ritz C, Petersen SL, Nielsen MK.Determination of ivermectin efficacy and egg reappearance period on horse farms using selective therapy. Veterinary Journal 2011. 188(1), 44-47.
- Nielsen MK, Baptiste KE, Tolliver SC, Collins SS, Lyons ET. Analysis of multiyear studies in horses in Kentucky to ascertain whether counts of eggs and larvae per gram of feces are reliable indicators of numbers of strongyles and ascarids present. 2010, Veterinary Parasitology 174:77-84.
- Nielsen MK. Anthelmintic usage in horses. Pratique Veterinaire Equine. 2010. 42:77-84.
- Becher A, Mahling M, Nielsen MK, Pfister K. Selective anthelmintic therapy of horses in the Federal states Of Bavaria (Germany) and Salzburg (Austria): An investigation intostrongyle egg shedding consistency. Veterinary Parasitology. 2010, 171:116-122.
- Nielsen MK, Fritzen B, Duncan JL, Guillot J, Eysker M, Dorschies P, Laugier C, Beugnet F, Meana A, Lussot-Kervern I, von Samson-Himmelstjerna G. Practical aspects of equine parasite control: A review based upon a workshop discussion consensus. Equine Veterinary Journal. 2010, 5:460-468.
- Nielsen MK, Vidyashankar A, Andersen UV, DeLisi K, Pilegaard K, Kaplan RM. Effects of fecal collection and storage factors on strongylid egg counts in horses. Veterinary Parasitology. 2010, 167(1):55-61.
- Denwood MJ, Reid S, Love S, Nielsen MK, Matthews L, McKendrick I, Innocent G. Comparison of three alternative methods for analysis of equine Faecal Egg Count Reduction Test data. Preventive Veterinary Medicine. 2010, 93(4):316-323.
- Kaplan RM, Nielsen MK. An evidence-based approach to equine parasite control: It ain't the 60s anymore. Equine Veterinary Education. 2010, 22(6):306-316.
- Nielsen MK. Restrictions of anthelmintic usage: perspectives and potential consequences. Parasites & Vectors. 2009, 2((suppl 2)):S7.
- Reinemeyer CR, Nielsen MK. Parasitism and colic. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Equine Practice. 2009, 25(2):233-245.
- Nielsen MK, Peterson DS, Monrad J, Thamsborg SM, Olsen SN, Kaplan RM. Detection and semi-quantification of Strongylus vulgaris DNA in equine faeces by real-time quantitative PCR. International Journal for Parasitology. 2008, 38(3-4):443-453.
- Kjær L, Lungholt M, Nielsen MK, Olsen SN, Maddox-Hyttel C. Interpretation of serum antibody response to Anoplocephala perfoliata in relation to parasite burden and faecal egg count. Equine Veterinary Journal. 2007, 39(6):529-533.
- Schougaard H, Nielsen MK. Apparent ivermectin resistance of Parascaris equorum in foals in Denmark. Veterinary Record. 2007, 160(13):439-440.
- Nielsen MK, Kaplan RM, Thamsborg SM, Monrad J, Olsen SN. Climatic influences on development and survival of free-living stages of equine strongyles: implications for worm control strategies and managing anthelmintic resistance. Veterinary Journal. 2007, 174(1):23-32.
- Nielsen MK, Haaning N, Olsen SN. Strongyle egg shedding consistency in horses on farms using selective therapy in Denmark. Veterinary Parasitology. 2006, 135(3-4):333-335.
- Nielsen MK. Ormemiddelresistens sætter dagsordenen i hesteholdet. Dansk Veterinærtidsskrift. 2006, 89(6):6-8.
- Nielsen MK. Valg af ormekur i praksis? Dansk Veterinærtidsskrift. 2006, 89(19):16-19.
- Nielsen MK, Monrad J, Olsen SN. Prescription-only anthelmintics - a questionnaire survey of strategies for surveillance and control of equine strongyles in Denmark. Veterinary Parasitology. 2006, 135(1):47-55.
(top of page)
To receive the monthly Bluegrass Equine Digest for free, go online to http://www.TheHorse.com/Enewsletter. Check the digest’s box on the right-hand side of the page and submit an e-mail address and name.