|College of Agriculture|
October 3, 2003
Equine Placenta Workshop - December 5 and 6, 2003
An invitation is extended to those who wish to participate in the above Workshop to be held at the Maxwell H. Gluck Equine Research Center, University of Kentucky, Lexington. Details of the program are below.
Workshop Goals: To improve knowledge of the equine placenta in health and disease and identify areas requiring further investigation.
Rationale: Significant scientific progress and management techniques have improved pregnancy rates in the mare. However fetal losses during mid and late term pregnancy continue to have a detrimental effect on the final live foal percentage. The role of the equine placenta in the maintenance of pregnancy has received less attention compared to other aspects of equine reproduction. Recent events including but not restricted to the emergence of Mare Reproductive Loss Syndrome have focused attention at the field and research level on the critical role of the equine placenta. The Workshop is intended to address these issues and stimulate greater practical and scientific interest in this “forgotten organ.”
The fee for attendance is $150 (payable to the University of Kentucky) which will include a copy of the published Proceedings. Members of the University of Kentucky are exempt the registration fee. For those who wish to attend an informal buffet on the evening of Friday, December 5 at the Thoroughbred Club of America an additional charge of $25 is requested. A stud farm visit is scheduled for the morning of Sunday, December 7.
Registration and further details including hotel accommodation can be obtained by contacting Diane Furry at email@example.com, Tel 859-257-4757 x 81117, Maxwell H. Gluck Equine Research Center, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40546.
Session 1 Friday, December
5, 8:30-10:30 am – Development and Morphology
Chairperson Peter Timoney, University of KY, Lexington, KY
• Anthony Carter, University of Southern Denmark.
• Peter Flood, University of Saskatchewan.
• WR Allen, Equine Fertility Unit, Newmarket.
• Summarizer: Jim Rooney, Queens Town, Maryland.
Session 2 Friday, December
5, 10:45 am-1:15 pm – Function
Chairperson WR Allen, Equine Fertility Unit, Newmarket
• Abigail Fowden, University of Cambridge.
• James Raeside, University of Guelph.
• Heidi Engelhardt, Brandon University, Canada.
• Malcolm Kennedy, University of Glasgow.
• Sandra Wilsher, Equine Fertility Unit, Newmarket.
• Summarizer: Doug Antczak, Cornell University.
Session 3 Friday, December
5, 2:15-4:45 pm – Clinical Assessment
Chairperson Jim Bowen, Blacksburg, VA
• Mats Troedsson, University of Florida.
• Luke Fallon, Hagyard-Davidson-McGee, Lexington, KY.
• Ashley Whitehead, University of Guelph.
• Jennifer Ousey, Equine Fertility Unit, Newmarket.
• Fairfield Bain, Hagyard-Davidson-McGee, Lexington, KY.
• Summarizer: Walter Zent, Hagyard-Davidson-McGee, Lexington, KY.
Session 4 Saturday, December
6, 8:00-10:30 am – Pathology
Chairperson Woody Asbury, The Grayson-Jockey Club Research Foundation, Lexington, KY
• Katherine Whitwell, Equine Pathology Consultancy, Newmarket.
• Neil Williams, University of Kentucky.
• Donald Schlafer, Cornell University.
• Karen McDowell, University of Kentucky.
• Bill Bernard, Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital, Lexington, KY.
• Summarizer: Michelle LeBlanc, Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital, Lexington, KY.
Session 5 Saturday, December
6, 11:00- 1:00 pm – Comparative Aspects
Chairperson, Doug Antczak, Cornell University
• John Challis, University of Toronto.
• Margaret Ramsay, University of Nottingham.
• Robert Bendon, Kosair Children's Hospital, Louisville, KY.
• Michael Gravett, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, Oregon.
• Summarizer: David Kronfeld, Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University.
Session 6 Saturday, December
6, 2:00- 3:30 pm – Summary and Conclusions
Chairperson, David Powell, University of Kentucky
• Keith Betteridge, University of Guelph