As we prepare for the spring semester, we are delighted to share our second email newsletter. The fall semester was a busy time in the School of Human Environmental Sciences. This newsletter highlights many of our activities and accomplishments. We look forward to 2012 and a rewarding spring semester.
In Memory: Dr. Doris Tichenor (1931-2011)
The School of Human Environmental Sciences pays tribute to Dr. Doris Tichenor, former Assistant Director of Home Economics Extension and Associate Dean for the College of Home Economics. Dr. Tichenor served in these positions from 1969 to 1984. She was a visionary leader who displayed great passion, energy, professionalism and commitment in her work. She remained a strong supporter of the School.
Happy New Year to all,
You can reach Dr. Vail at email@example.com
MAT Club collects 15,800 jeans for denim drive
The Merchandising, Apparel and Textiles Club once again participated in the Cotton: From Blue to Green Denim Drive this fall. The organization collected enough jeans and denim to insulate 32 homes.
Hall of Fame induction
On October 28, the School of Human Environmental Sciences inducted Betty Jean Brannan and Carolyn Workman Breeding in the Hall of Fame.
• Full story
• Video from the honoree seminar
School presents Patricia Brantley Todd Awards
The School of Human Environmental Sciences presented the Patricia Brantley Todd Awards for Excellence at the end of November. The awards were presented to Dr. Min-Young Lee, Janet Johnson and Dr. Donna Smith.
HES student organizations assist with fall festival for autistic children
Students from the UK Student Dietetic Association, UK Hospitality Management Association, and UK and EKU student units of the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences joined together in late October to host a fall festival for autistic children.
HES enhances student learning through study tour opportunities
Faculty in the School of Human Environmental Sciences are enhancing student learning through study tours.
Learn about plans for 2012
FCS Extension facilitates household savings across Kentucky
Couponing emerged as a popular Kentucky Extension program more than two years ago. Read more about Family and Consumer Sciences Extension programming that is helping Kentuckians save money.
NFS professors and students travel to FNCE 2011 in San Diego
Students and faculty from the Department of Nutrition and Food Science presented work at the Food and Nutrition Conference held in September in San Diego, California.
Hospitality Management students partner with local organizations to keep Lexington beautiful
In September, students in the Hospitality Management and Tourism Marketing class completed a unique service learning project.
- Meredith Cinnamon, a senior majoring in Merchandising, Apparel and Textiles and Family and Consumer Sciences Education. She represented the students in the college as the featured student speaker at the College of Agriculture Scholarship Luncheon on November 19. The event recognizes this year's recipients of academic scholarships and the donors who made these scholarships possible.
- The following members of the class of 2011 recently passed the Registered Dietitian exam: Erin Broderick, Chelsea Caito, Lorna Fuller, Amanda Harshman, Joe Higgins, Suzanne Mattingly, Laura Pedigo and Dustin Reed.
- Family Sciences major Megan Day who was selected for the Teach for America Program. Megan is also Chapter President of the Phi Eta Sigma National Honors Society as well as Chapter President for the Students for Education Reform. Congratulations, Megan! Full story
- The following HES seniors who were inducted into Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Society this fall: Eric Stefan Jacobson, Human Nutrition; Bridgett N. Lyall, Family Sciences; Deepa P. Patel, Human Nutrition; Hope M. Pitman, Dietetics; Anita C. Powell, Human Nutrition; Holly Alexandra Reitter, Human Nutrition; Rachel B. Skidmore, Human Nutrition; and Kathryn A. Stegman, Dietetics.
- Several students successfully defended a master's thesis this fall. View the list
50-year reunion: Members of the Ag & HES class of 1961 attended a special reunion this fall.
Class of 1961: (from left) Mac McComas, Tom Isaacs, Laverne Isaacs, Ruth Duncan, Lynn Heady, Kay Thomas, Ed Thomas and Thomas Campbell.
Alumni profile: Myra Tobin, Class of 1962, was recently featured in the UK Alumni Magazine. Full story [PDF]
Welcome to Liz Marshall Combs. Liz joined the Department of Nutrition and Food Science as Academic Coordinator in October. Full story
- Family and Consumer Sciences Extension agents who received regional and national awards through the National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences. Full story
- Margaret Cook-Newell, Department of Nutrition and Food Science, who was named Educator of the Year by the Kentucky Association of Diabetes Educators.
- Janet Kurzynske, Department of Nutrition and Food Science, on her recent appointment to the UK Nonmedical Institutional Review Board.
- Janet Mullins, Department of Nutrition and Food Science, on her recent appointment as Chair of the Evaluation Subcommittee of the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture Food, Nutrition and Health Committee. Janet has also been appointed to serve on the Kentucky Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Advisory Committee.
- Laura Stephenson, Family & Consumer Sciences Extension, on her appointment to a 3-year term on the Kentucky Commissioner of Education Parents Advisory Council.
Candidates are sought for the position of Department Chair, Nutrition and Food Science in the School of Human Environmental Sciences. Nominations and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Learn more [PDF]
New website helps Kentuckians save money
UK students to develop strategic tourism plan for Bullitt County
Food and Farm Tour connects low income families to agriculture
Many Kentuckians struggling through tough economic conditions
New web page links Kentuckians to local foods
Family Interaction Lab: Waves of Communication
• Waves of Communication: AgMagazine story [PDF]
• UK at the Half: Interview
Visit HES online at our official website, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Plus, there are dozens of HES-related websites and social media pages.
Join us online!
First day of classes for spring 2012 semester.
Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday.
The Different Faces of Substance Abuse Conference at the Marriott Griffin Gate, Lexington, Kentucky.
Registration is open — space is limited! The conference will cover topics such as pill mills, polypharmacy, initiatives to combat substance abuse, youth programs, take back programs, education and treatment. More info
Merchandising, Apparel and Textiles Study Tour to New York City.
3rd Annual Kentucky Health Literacy Summit at the Marriott Griffin Gate, Lexington, Kentucky. More info
Family and Consumer Sciences State Advisory Council Meeting at the Embassy Suites, Lexington, Kentucky.
Ag & HES Alumni Association Kentucky vs. Florida Pre-Game Event in Gainesville, Florida. More info
Donors play an important role in the success of programs within the School of Human Environmental Sciences.
Learn more about giving
School of Human Environmental Sciences
102 Erikson Hall
University of Kentucky
Director: Ann Vail, Ph.D.