Fall greetings from the School of Human Environmental Sciences! The semester is moving quickly, and midterm is approaching. Our enrollment continues to increase, with 945 undergraduates and 85 graduate students in our programs this semester. We are pleased to welcome two new faculty members to our School, and we are excited to have 14 new Family and Consumer Sciences Extension agents hired in recent months.
October is always a busy month in the School of Human Environmental Sciences and we look forward to our Hall of Fame induction on October 19th. Please see the calendar of events at right and alumni notes below to learn more about the 2012 Hall of Fame events.
You can reach Dr. Vail at email@example.com
London/Scotland Study Tour 2012
Study tours are an exciting way to extend classroom learning. In May 2012, students in Merchandising, Apparel and Textiles traveled to London and Scotland to learn more about the retailing, textiles and the fashion industry.
Undergraduate Research enhances student learning
Undergraduate research (UR) is a great way for students to learn outside the classroom and gain much needed knowledge about their major and chosen career. Read two stories sharing information about undergraduate research in the School of HES.
• Undergraduate Research Enhance Student Learning.
• HES Students Participate at Undergraduate Showcase
of Scholars. Full story
UK among universities fighting world hunger
The University of Kentucky, in collaboration with 150 other institutions across the nation, is leading an effort to combat world hunger. Read about student involvement from the School of Human Environmental Sciences.
Operation: Military Kids camps highlight summer
The Kentucky Operation Military Kids program continued the tradition of hosting family camps during the summer.
Building Strong Families for Kentucky
The programs conducted through Family and Consumer Sciences Extension are leading to beneficial changes for Kentuckians. Our annual Building Strong Families profiles summarize impacts with county level profiles and a state compilation.
Full story and profiles
Two events welcomed students in the School of Human Environmental Sciences to campus. On August 18th, 58 new students and their families attended a welcome breakfast. On August 29, more than 125 students gathered in front of Erikson Hall for a welcome picnic. These two great events provided an opportunity for networking and to kick-off a new academic year.
During the spring semester and summer terms, 17 graduate students in the School of Human Environmental Sciences successfully completed their thesis or dissertation. Full list
At the end of the 2011-2012 academic year, the School of Human Environmental Sciences recognized outstanding undergraduate and graduate students through the Student of Excellence and Student of Distinction Awards. Full story
Two outstanding alumni will be inducted into the School of Human Environmental Sciences Hall of Fame on October 19th. We are very pleased this year to honor Joyce Crupper Clifford and Helen Anderson Shaw. Invitation and profiles
The Erikson Hall front porch has an extra splash of color this year thanks to a very special donation from alumnus Nancy Wills and her husband, Steve. Full story and photos
Saturday, September 15 more than 30 HES alumni gathered for a reception as part of AG & HES Alumni Roundup. The annual event provides a great opportunity for alumni to visit and reconnect.
- Dr. Claudia Heath, Professor, Department of Family Sciences, who was named a Distinguished Fellow by the American Council on Consumer Interests. Full story
- Dr. Jason Swanson, Assistant Professor, Department of Merchandising, Apparel and Textiles, recipient of the Forty for the Future Award from the Southeast Tourism Society. Full story
- Gwenda Johnson, Elliot County Extension Agent for Family and Consumer Sciences, recipient of a 2012 East Kentucky Leadership Award. Full story
- Rosie Allen, Gallatin County Extension Agent for Family and Consumer Sciences, recipient of the Kentucky and Southern Region Epsilon Sigma Phi Mid-Career Service Award. Full story
- Dr. Tracy Lu, Assistant Professor, Department of Merchandising, Apparel and Textiles, recipient of the Best Paper Award from the International Convention and Expo Summit. Full story
- Dr. Hazel Forsythe, Department of Nutrition and Food Science, recipient of the Tri-State Diversity Conference Individual Champion Award. Full story
- Dr. Tricia Day, Lecturer, Department of Merchandising, Apparel and Textiles. Full story
- Dr. Dawn Brewer, Lecturer, Department of Dietetics and Human Nutrition. Full story
- We are pleased to welcome 14 new Family and Consumer Sciences Extension agents, 7 who attended orientation in July and 7 who attended in September. Full stories: July Orientation / September Orientation
UK researcher studies historical re-enactors and their dress
Extension agents helping others learn the basics
Resilient KY communities refresh canning skills
Prof delves into why youth engage in cyberbullying
Visit HES online at our official website, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Plus, there are dozens of HES-related websites and social media pages.
Join us online!
2nd Sunday. Find out about events in your local area at 2ndSundayKy.com
School of Human Environmental Sciences Hall of Fame ceremony and reception, 3:30 p.m., Hilary J. Boone Center. More info
UK Ag & HES Scholarship Banquet.
Donors play an important role in the success of programs within the School of Human Environmental Sciences.
Learn more about giving
School of Human Environmental Sciences
102 Erikson Hall
University of Kentucky
Director: Ann Vail, Ph.D.