KENTUCKY 4-H POULTRY BARBECUE CONTESTS
In the Chicken Barbecue event participants have 2½ hours to barbecue three chicken halves. They are judged on their cooking skills. The participants submit two of the halves for sensory evaluation.
In the Turkey Barbecue event participants have 3 hours to barbecue two turkey breast fillets. Again, they are judged on their cooking skill. The participants submit one of the turkey breasts for sensory evaluation.
All Kentucky 4-Hers wishing to participate in the State Chicken/Turkey Barbecue Events at State 4-H Poultry Day, may do so, provided they register through their county agent.
The senior winner(s) at the Chicken/Turkey Barbecue events will be given the opportunity to represent Kentucky at the National 4-H Poultry and Egg Conference which will be held in Louisville on the third Thursday in November. They will receive $300 each to cover travel expenses to participate in the national event.
- To develop leadership talents and to work toward achieving the broad objective of developing sound character and effective citizenship.
- To acquire scientific knowledge and improved understanding of the economy, versatility and nutritional value of chicken broiler/turkey meat and its relationship to human nutrition and health.
- To learn the basic principles of food safety.
- To help youth develop skills in the preparation and use of chicken and turkey and to acquire the ability to express their ideas through participation in projects, talks, discussions, demonstrations, and exhibits.
- Factsheet: Kentucky 4-H barbecue contests
DATE, TIME and LOCATION
Date: July 18, 2015
Time: Registration at 10:00 AM with cooking starting at 10:30 AM
Location: Madison County Extension office in Richmond, KY
RULES and REGULATIONS
- Participants will be scored according on cooking skill and sensory evaluation.
- Each participant will prepare three 1¼ to 1½ pound chicken halves or two turkey breast fillets provided to them by the event monitors. The fillets will each consist of a ½ breast with tenderloin removed (Pectoralis Major muscle). The skin may be left on or off both fillets or one of each. Chicken and turkey will not be available to participants prior to event starting time.
- There will be a 2½ hour time limit for the preparation of the chicken and turkey. One point will be deducted for every five minutes late. Fires cannot be lighted prior to the start of the event.
- Charcoal, lighter fluid, and all other equipment and supplies, including sauce, must be furnished by participants. Self-starting charcoal or automatic fire start blocks will not be permitted. Participants may use a meat thermometer. Commercial devices for covering of meat on grill will not be allowed. Participants may wrap meat in aluminum foil; however, aluminum foil must be removed one hour prior to the end of the time limit. Chicken halves may not be placed in baskets to aid in turning. Sauce may be commercial or private recipe. Recipe must be provided to judges.
- Chicken/Turkey shall not be marinated prior to start of the event. A participant may not inject any fluid or sauce into chicken/turkey.
- Each participant will present two barbecued chicken halves or one turkey fillet to the panel of judges. No garnishes will be permitted on plates when submitted to the judges.
- No participant will be allowed to have any means of identification as to name, county, or area represented.
- Participants will work alone, except in case of an emergency, as determined by event monitors.
- Tie scores of the top five participants will be broken in descending order by:
- Highest score in "Finished Product Quality" portion.
- Highest score in "Barbecuing Skill" portion.
- Drop high and low scores, use middle score.
- A method will be decided by the event committee.
- Use the 4-H Chicken & Turkey Barbecue Project Book 4 AJ-02PO as a reference guide. A minimum of one practice must be held before the state event.
- Past state winners of the Chicken/Turkey Barbecue Event at the senior level cannot participate in the Chicken/Turkey Barbecue Event again. However, the past state winner of the Chicken Barbecue event at the senior level can participate in the Turkey Barbecue event and vice versa.
- Past state winners of the Chicken/Turkey Barbecue event at the junior level can participate in the Chicken/Turkey Barbecue event at the junior and/or senior level providing they meet age restrictions.
- If, for any reason, registered contestants are unable to attend, please cancel with the State 4-H Office by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone as soon as possible, so we do not waste chickens/turkeys.