Characteristics of a healthy bird
In order to be able to identify signs of disease it is important to be familiar with the characteristics of a healthy bird.
- Erect stance with head and tail elevated
- Bright red comb and wattles
- Filled-out face parts
- Bright and alert eyes
- Clean nostrils
- Smooth, neat, clean feathers
- Filled-out legs
- Joints that are smooth and cool to the touch
- Weight that is typical for the type and age of the bird
- Powerful movements when struggling
- Scales on the legs and feet that are clean and waxy in appearance
- Color of the skin that is characteristic for the breed and strain of bird, as well as the age and state of production
In addition, a healthy bird eats and drinks frequently with the usually accompanying waste products (fecal material with white uric acid crystals) and displays no signs of respiratory distress.